Friday 4 October 2013

Silvery.

(As is usually the case, all of these photos can easily be made available to buy in various sizes - see www.matrobinsonphoto.co.uk for examples)

This post is a bit of a departure from my usual landscape photography - some softer colours, some diffuse light and some much less grand vistas. There is still some mist though, or lots of it even, which as you'll all probably know - is one of my favourite things.

I don't often get out into the Peak District on miserable days (at least not for photography) - usually having to keep my spare time for trips when the light is almost guaranteed... but on Thursday morning I made an exception having seen the first signs of autumn in the bracken beneath the birch trees above Padley Gorge at the weekend. For woodland photography there is nothing like a bit of murk to soften the backgrounds, taking out otherwise distracting details and adding a sense of depth as the trees fade into the distance - so with low cloud hanging around the hills of Sheffield, it was an opportunity not to be missed.

My one aim for the day was to think more carefully about some more subtle compositions, rather than my usual fare of beautiful light over whole valleys, and in the end I think I achieved just that. From my entire trip, there are only a few photos that haven't been included in this blog post - so my success rate was right up where I'd want it - and I think I've managed to capture some intriguing shapes and textures in each frame - not to mention the beautiful colours. So... what do you lovely lot think?















No comments:

Post a Comment